Pages

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

2009 Pulitzer Prize Winner


I'm a month late on this tidbit of book news, but better late than never, right? On April 20 the winners of the Pulitzer Prizes were announced. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout won the Pulitzer for fiction. When I read this I was shocked. First, I was shocked because Books on Main, the George Hail Library book club, actually read this book back in December 2008. How cool is that? I stumbled across that book quite by accident. It just happened to cross the circulation desk one day when I was working. Lucky me! I hadn't even heard any book buzz about it. I just liked the cover, I had read another book by Elizabeth Strout - which I had enjoyed - and the blurb in the book jacket sounded interesting. Who knew it would be chosen for a Pulitzer?! But, even more amazing is that I really liked this book. This is amazing for two reasons. One, it is a book of short stories and typically I don't like short stories. And two, until now there has only been one Pulitzer prize winning book that I have liked. Usually I find the books that have won the Pulitzer to be dull, boring and/or bland. Go figure. And here's the weirdest part of all. The other Pulitzer winner that I liked, Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri, was also a collection of short stories! So I guess I can no longer say I don't like short stories or Pulitzer Prize winning books. But I can say that I do like Pulitzer Prize winning short stories! Go figure.

Click here for a complete list of 2009 Pulitzer Prize winners.


Image from Google images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I try to respond to every comment, so be sure to check back.